Friday, December 11, 2015

Here's How Much Mental Healthcare Actually Costs

There’s no such a thing as a “normal” cost.

What kind of care you need, how often you need it, what kind of insurance you have, where you live, and so many other things can affect how much taking care of your mental health will cost you.

To see just how varied these costs can be, we recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us how much they spend on their mental healthcare. Here are some of their stories.

Note: Responses have been edited for length and clarity.

ABC / Via caitlinmaryy.tumblr.com

Age: 22
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
What that covers: Therapy, medication, psychiatrist appointments

"After I was hospitalized, I was recommended to begin dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) to help treat borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety, and self-harm. My insurance was great about covering my hospital stay and helping find and cover a psychiatrist, but when it came to seeking therapy I was given limited options that didn't include DBT. I have to pay $15 per session for my individual therapy and $40 per session for my group therapy. So it is $200 a month for me to receive therapy. Which puts a strain on my already tight budget.

I am fortunate in the fact that my insurance completely covered one of my medications and a bit of my other two medications. I end up paying roughly $20 a month for my medications."

Age: 28
Location: New Jersey
What that covers: Therapy

"I had to switch therapists this year because I changed jobs and thus my insurance changed. I really liked the previous therapist, but I could no longer afford to see them because they did not accept my new insurance.

I have a $45 co-pay per session to see a therapist. I go once every two weeks, so I spend about $90 a month. In addition, I have recently needed to search for a psychiatrist to prescribe me medication to help treat my depression, so I would already be looking at another $45–90 a month plus the cost of medication."


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment